Thursday, March 15, 2012

The 12 and half writing rules you will only need!

In many of my recent blog post I have talked about if you practice writing every day you will get better at it. Will that just so happens to be one of the 12 and half rules of writing. If you think about writing is just like a sport. If you do not practice you will never be any good. Take baseball for example, if you do not practice hitting and throwing the ball everyday you will never be the player that you want to be. The same goes for writing. You have to practice everything that is in your toolbox.

Another rule is, writers read, writers read a lot, writers read all the time. The other day I had to do a project on Ben Carson. Ben Carson is a famous neurosurgeon who has performed many brain and spinal surgeries. When Dr. Carson was little he was always called dumb by his peers. So one day his mother decided that she would replace t.v with books. Carson always thanks his mom for making him read at such a young age because if he didn't he would not be the person he is today. Dr. Carson has also written many books, his most famous one being "Gifted Hands". So I guess the rule that writers read all the time is true.

One of my favorite rules is, go for walks, dance, pull weeds, do the dishes. Write about it. I love this rule because it is telling you that anything you do you can write about it. Whenever you write it does not have to be a big drawn out story. You can write what you did for the day for practice, because remember we have to practice every day to become the writer we want to be. Sometimes the stupidest things to write about are the easiest to write about. The dishes for example, I could probably come up with a crazy story about doing the dishes from sometime in my life. So always feel free to write about anything you want.

These are only a few rules out of the 12 and half, but to me these are the most important ones. These three rules I have chosen have helped me become a better writer just this semester. I encourage everyone to take a look at them, and see if there is a way these 12 and half rules can help your writing.




1 comment:

  1. I love the rule about writing anywhere you go. When im walking or running i think about what i could write about when i see the things i do. Its a daily thing for me to write stuff down that i find interesting. I like this post dakota. Great job.

    ReplyDelete