Thursday, January 19, 2012

As a writer I do not feel very confident. I have always felt that sometimes I do not have a purpose to write, so I do not put as much into my writing as I should. Over the years I have tried to learn ways to become a better writer, but I know have a ways to go. I want to be able to feel confident about writing, and not think I am a bad writer. When people read my papers I want them to think I actually cared about what I was writing. Over the years I have had many classes that I have helped me feel more confident in my writing, but I want to get to the point where I am not making any mistakes in my papers. To me writing is the most important thing you can learn as a student. When you go out into the real world writing is the most important thing you need to know. Every job you will ever have will require you to write. That's why as a student I want to learn as much about writing as I can. In the past I have had a bad attitude towards writing because I have always been told my writing is not that good. I know now that I am a little older that if you have bad attitude towards writing then the worse your writing is going to be. From now on as a writer I want to always have a purpose to write, and express the way I feel about certain things in my writing. I want to change the way I have always thought about writing. I have always kinda thought it was pointless. Until last semester when I finally figured out how important writing actually was. It was not just writing but learning to write the way you should. Feeling you have a purpose to write, and no matter what anyone says about your writing you feel confident in it. I learned last semester that I could write with purpose. There was papers I would make errors on, but that can always be fixed with practice. There is so much I want to learn this semester about writing. I want to be able express my self more and give more detail in my writing. Overall I just want to become a better writer.

5 comments:

  1. There are a couple of things that I've found out over the years that've helped me along the way (as far as writing is concerned). One of the first things I've learned is that it's about what you read. When you read something that you enjoy, sometimes, you may find the urge to write in the same style. Eventually, you'll find a lot of writing styles that you can enjoy and eventually imitate. Another thing is simply practice: just like with every other skill in this world, practice makes habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ways that I have found on becoming a better writer are choosing topics that you like, always being familiar on spelling, punctuation and grammar, setting it up in correct form. In most cases you get to choose what to write, choose something that you think you can have an easily flow of going through the paper smoothly. It may seem elementary but being familiar with spelling, punctuation, and grammar is a must and can be a big part in grading. There is a wrong and right way to right a paper you usually can follow the scale of an introductory paragraph, 3 supporting paragraphs, and conclusion paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Practicing writing about different things that interest you can help you become a better writer. That's how I became good at writing. You, also, need to be confident in your writing. Practicing writing will help you to become more comfortable and confident.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that Josh, Chun, and Melonie all make wonderful points and all offer very good advice. Josh is absolutely right when he connects reading and writing. The more you read the better your writing will become because you will see good writing modeled and you will be exposed to so many different writing styles. And if, as Chun says, you can pick a topic that you are interested in, then you will enjoy writing about it and your writing will reflect that. And practice is also key because you learn that it's okay to take risks and make mistakes. Writing really shouldn't be intimidating if you remember that you are the writer and, therefore, you are in control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also not a confident writer. But I have learned that the more you read other people's writings and books then you will become more confident in your own writing and vocabulary. Staying positive will help a lot with your writing, don't let yourself down if your not as good of a writer as you'd like to be. Practice makes perfect; If your watching television one day try jotting down some feedback from the show you just watched, that can only help you with becoming more confident in your writing. Nothing can hurt, only better you.

    ReplyDelete